Valentine’s day is quickly approaching and we’re always looking to surprise our loved one’s with something extra special so I thought, why not start off the day with a thoughtful Valentine’s day inspired breakfast. In this post, I’ll be showing you guys how I created these adorable chocolate drizzled heart shaped french toasts.
What you will need:
- Gluten free toast (Pictured: Udi’s gluten free multigrain toast)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk (I used Silk almond milk – my favorite!;))
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Cinnamon to taste
- Maple Syrup, agave, or honey
- Chocolate Chips (Pictured: Enjoy Life’s vegan chocolate chips)
- White chocolate melts
- Heart shaped sprinkles
- 1 Plastic bag
For your toast:
1. In a bowl, combine all your french toast ingredients. This includes 1 egg, milk, vanilla extract, and your cinnamon. Whisk together until well combined.
2. Next you want to take a pair of kitchen scissors and cut your toast into a heart shape. I found scissors worked best for me rather than a cookie cutter seeing as Gluten free toast has a harder consistency than your traditional loaf of bread.
3. Place your griddle on med-high heat and spray it with non stick spray. I decided to drizzle a tad of olive oil which works quite nicely as well. 🙂
4. Dip your toast into your french toast mix and let it soak for about 30 seconds on each side.
5. Place your toast on your griddle until both sides are golden brown.
6. This part is optional but I personally thought would fit perfectly with the Valentine’s day theme. While waiting to flip your toast, you can push some chocolate chips into the side of the bread that is face up. That way they will melt into it and give it that extra chocolate flavour. After all, who doesn’t love some chocolate on this special day. 🙂
7. Once your toast is ready, you can remove the slice and place it onto a plate as shown in the picture below.
For the chocolate sauce and final touches:
1. You can choose to melt your chocolate over a water bath or in the microwave. If you decide on the microwave, make sure to melt at 10 second intervals in order to prevent the chocolate from burning.
2. Once your chocolate is ready, place it into a small plastic bag and cut up a small hole. This will allow you to drizzle it nicely onto your chocolate chip french toast.
3. Ofcourse, we can’t forget our traditional maple syrup. I placed some on the side in a little sauce cup.
3. Finally, you will want to grab some heart shaped sprinkles and sprinkle them over it for some final touches.
And there you have it, a simple yet adorable french toast recipe!
I hope this recipe inspired some of you to kick it up a notch this Valentine’s day.
Much love, and as always,
xox Léa S.